If you have property or contents insurance you should contact your insurance company as soon as possible after the fire.
- Ask your insurer for advice on actions you should take
- Do not discard or throw away damaged items without first consulting your insurance company
- Make a list of items that have been damaged and take photographs if possible
- Keep receipts for any emergency repair work
For assistance with insurance contact the Insurance Council of Australia on 1800 734 621 (24 hour hotline). You can find information on lodging a claim following a disaster here: www.disasters.org.au.
The website additionally provides resources for community members on:
- The claims process – key steps
- Insurance Embargoes
- Removing Debris Following Disaster
- Beware the Storm Chaser
- Settling an insurance claim
For further details on insurance advice see Understand Insurance.